Thursday, March 13, 2014

My Life As a Nurse

I love being a nurse!
Currently I work at an allergy clinic.
The pollens are just coming out, so patients are often congested and cranky.
By 8:00 this morning I had been sworn at multiple times and
involved yet again in crazy corporate drama.
Things like this happen every day.
 
I'm learning how to be resilient.
I'm learning how to be kind, even when I may not want to be.
I'm learning how to be tactful in what I say.
I'm learning that it's worth my time to understand someone's side of his story.
I'm learning that grudges require energy and, frankly, aren't worth it.
I'm learning that being demanding only brings temporary gratification.
I'm learning that gossip is worse than an illness.
 
Thankfully, I work with wonderful people.
Strong, confident people.
I have so much to learn from them!
I work with physicians who are kind, loyal, and very diplomatic.
They are wonderful examples to me.
 
It is an amazing thing to be able to affect even hundreds of lives in a single day's work.
There is great power in influencing someone else for good.
It's worth being sworn at a few times or involved in some drama if the end result is that
I can help someone have a better quality of life.
Sometimes I have to take a deep breath and remind myself of this, but it's true.
The moments, though, when a patient thanks or compliments me
make it all worth it!
 
In two weeks I have an interview for a Master's program.
I'm really excited because it's a Master's of Science in Nursing
with a focus in Nursing Administration.
I've felt for awhile that I should continue my education, but haven't really known how.
This program will allow me to keep working full-time as well as study.
I'll keep you posted on how the interview goes!
 
In the meantime, I'll keep giving allergy shots.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment